Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Insomnia: Why Take Hallucinogens?

Hi everyone,

It is now 1am. I have to get up in five hours because I have a meeting at work at 8:15. It normally takes me a little over an hour to make it in so 6am is probably about the right time to set my alarm for. I'm not sure if I will get to sleep or not. There's a lot of stuff I sort of want to write that is true and honest, but a. someone will read this and fire me and b. after already only sleeping 4 hours last night, I'm worried that the continued lack of sleep will start making me say stuff like, "If only we could elect Raisin Bran president, it would do a much better job leading or troops in Afghanistan." or "You know why I'm thankful that John Lennon was born? He wore pants." Eventually, I'm guessing I'll start to hallucinate. That might actually not be such a bad thing, unless like the guy in A Beautiful Mind, the hallucinated characters start to be CIA guys portrayed by Ed Harris.

It's actually 1:11 now. I've successfully wasted 11 minutes of my life writing that last part. That could have been the 11 minutes where I thought of a cure for cancer. More likely, though, it's the 11 minutes I would have spent either watching another rerun of Entourage on HBO or designing custom sneakers on the Reebok website that I will never actually buy. And now there are probably only two or three of you reading this. I'm sorry I'm wasting so many of your brains cells with my mindless rambling. If it were actually productive and I could put something informative like, "Since John Adams was sworn in as Vice President a few days before George Washington, according to the Constitution, because there was no president, John Adams was actually the first president of the U.S.", but that really doesn't give you any valuable information other than to impress some person at a party in DC. You really don't want to talk to those people anyway.

So I hope I don't do anything too ridiculous during the next few days. I already almost dropped a microwave on my head. (I'm guessing the curse of the pigeon has started to take effect.) If I walk into traffic or accidentally invent a new breath mint, you'l know what was going on. Me + no sleep = punchy and moderately delusional.

No comments: