Monday, September 28, 2009

Facebook Protocol

I used to enjoy when someone I hadn't heard from in a long time contact me as a friend on Facebook. "Wow, I haven't see them for a while," I'd think to myself. No, however, I'm getting into the murky area of not friends and strangers who contact me on facebook. Yesterday, someone who I've never met contacted me to be a "friend." I looked at his other "friends" and realized I didn't know any of them. That made me think that someone should probably spell out facebook protocol to people:

1. Before you friend someone on Facebook, you should actually meet them in real life. If you are a bot looking to use my information for telemarketing or identity theft, do it the old fashion way. Get people drunk and get the info out of them that way.

2. Status updates should be interesting, informative, and/or entertaining. They should not consist of: Going to the store. That tells me nothing. Much better: Going to the store after I go into a fight with my wife over anchovies and how we ran out and even though I think that they're gross I'm going out to get them anyway because I'd much rather sleep in bed than on the couch. Also buying bread.

3. You should not ask someone to be in Mafia Wars unless you pay them in real life. Now, I'm not necessarily opposed to Mafia Wars, but I receive about thirty requests a day to take a bribe from a cop, perform a hit, or shake someone down. If the mob was really that desperate that they had to contact me to do that kind of stuff, they'd be in real trouble.

4. The email feature in Facebook should not be used. It doesn't allow you to interface with other email programs. If you are going to email someone you should use their regular email. Otherwise, ou should not necessarily expect an email response. (This one is more of an excuse as to why don't respond to emails via Facebook, but I still think it's valid.

If you have any others feel free to add them. Just don't add people you don't know as friends.

No comments: